Saturday, June 29, 2019

Pearl Harbor - Hawaii Day 3

One of my favorite places to visit and something I consider a must see if you are on Oahu is Pearl Harbor.  We got there bright and early Friday morning since tickets are on first come first served basis.  there was a huge line already wrapping around the building but it went very quickly and we were able to get in for the 7:45 tour, only having to wait twenty minutes.  You first go into a theater and watch a film about the history of Pearl Harbor. Then you board a boat and go out into the harbor. In the past, the ferry takes you to the actual memorial where yoh can read and reflect. The memorial, however, is under repairs, so the ferry brought us past the memorial and back.  I have to admit, it wasn't as touching or meaningful. You dont see the full impact of seeing the battleship under the memorial or see the oil, called "black tears" still leaking out. You still learn a lot but you don't get the emotional impact.  I hope its fixed soon and that people can resume visiting the memorial.




After we toured the memorial, Stan and Ethan went to tour the USS Bowfin, an old WWII submarine.  Nikki and I waited (I couldnt go on).  Then we headed out for a drive to the Leeward (west) side of the island.

Nobody was impressed with that side. It was covered in graffiti and there were homeless camps everywhere.  These homeless camps were quite elaborate. Some.had fenced in their "yard" and had their areas decorated.  I was shocked that the county allows them. They were at every beach and coast line. Not to mention all the abandoned and stripped cars everywhere.  It was like nobody took pride in paradise .

We went home after we got as far north as we could go.  Ethan didnt want to be home so he went to a place called Koko Head Steps. Its a series of steps that goes straight up Koko Head Crater, about one mile.  I was impressed he made it.


I wasnt up to walking up one mile of stairs.  The rest of us hung out at the house and napped.   I was in need to elevate and ice my leg so badly so spending the rest of the day doing that made me feel so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment