Friday, June 28, 2019

Hanauma Bay - Hawaii Day 2

We woke up bright and early to head to Hanauma Bay.  if you don't know what Hanauma Bay is, it's a bay formed in a crater where  hundreds of beautiful.tropical fish swim. It's a popular snorkeling place.  When I lived here, it was open to anyone and free.  Now, they limit the number of visitors let day. You have to pay admission and watch a video about preserving the bay.  I read that we need to get there early so, off we went.  We arrived at about 8 am and it was already pretty full.  I hobbled from the car to the theater on my crutches (not an easy task on the sandy, set and uneven ground). After the movie, we got on the shuttle and headed down the hill.  Hanauma Bay has been totally redone in the past three decades and is very nice. They are handicapped accessible and even had free wheelchairs that go in the sand.  I took advantage of that.
Pano of Hanauma Bay

the bay from above




me on my wheelchair


While everyone snorkeled, I sat at the beach and just enjoyed being there.  I missed not snorkeling, but did enjoy just sitting. I was able to.prop up my leg with towels so I was comfortable. I bought everyone a waterproof phone case, but they were all afraid to try them, so no pretty fish photos. 

After Hanauma Bay, we went home, had lunch, and napped. Then we went for a drive.  We headed to Kahala area and.Then headed toward Waikiki. Nobody was impressed with it.  It's changed a lot. By International Marketplace , which used to be a bunch of carts with touristy trinkets is now upscale designer shops. Traffic is still really bad and we aren't able to park in a walkable distance (for me) even with my handicapped placard so we didnt stop.
Makapuu


Mynah bird



Stan and Nikkis selfie




I
Ethan was busy stacking rocks


We headed back to Hawaii Kai and went to dinner at Kona Brewing Company. We had excellent seats by the water and enjoyed each other's company. After dinner, as we headed back to the car, Ethan spotted a shaved ice place where Obama stopped so he had to have an Obama shaved ice.  I don't know where he puts everything. rocks
My kids are grown up


.
My lava flow. 

Ethan was fascinated by the best selection. He got a flight to sample several. 

Nikki had her virgin lava flow
.
Koko Marina looks the same


No comments:

Post a Comment