Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Post Op - 11 Days

I had my first post-op appointment this morning.  I went in thinking positively, although last time I went thinking positively, I was told I needed surgery.  I knew my wishful thinking of beginning to walk again would be out of the question, but I still had hopes.

No, I still cannot bear weight on my right leg, at least for another month.  But I was pleasantly surprised when my surgical dressing was taken off. Besides being hot and itchy, I was expecting staples making a Frankenstein-looking scar.  No Frankenstein.  Actually the scar looks really good, with no visible sign of stitches.  I am thinking with time, it will fade and be fairly invisible.
Photo of my scar 11 days after surgery.  My skin is wrinkled from the dressing and orange from surgery, but you can see the scar.  It starts at the outside of my knee and moves to the center and then down half way to the shin.  I'm happy it wasn't huge and that the surgeon doesn't like to use staples. 


When they took my dressing off, I headed to the X-ray.  I must admit, I was pretty nervous since I didn't have my brace on.  As much as I hate that hinged brace, it does offer a sense of security.  I hopped onto the Xray table and she told me to straighten my leg as flat as I could .  I was very nervous and chattered on nervously, but I managed to get it surprisingly straight.

I went back to the exam room and the surgeon came in.  He said it looks really good and was surprised when I told him I had no pain, except when it became swollen, which isn't too often.  In fact, I really haven't taken any pain pills for a few days.  He had me move my knee 90 degrees.  I was scared, but with some concentration, I could do it.  What a relief to not have to have a straight leg all the time.

My next appointment is in a month and it's probable that I will beginning weight bearing.  I will also start physical therapy at that time.  In the meantime, I will keep working on my range of motion and strengthen my quads which seem to have disappeared in a week.  I really need to be walking before school starts, at least part time, so I'm going to be focused on that goal.  Not to mention we leave for Hawaii in 9 days.  I need to get that range of motion in shape for the airplane.  Still no long walks on the beach, but at least I'll get to the beach.

As for the X-rays, I had 8 screws and one plate put in.  4 of the screws are in my plateau alone.  They repaired my meniscus and put something in (Stan calls it sawdust) for cartilage.
My X-ray 11 days post surgery.  8 screws and a plate.  Looks horrible, but no pain.  Except when my leg and foot get inflamed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment