Friday, June 21, 2019

Two Weeks

Today marks the two week mark since my TPF surgery.  The toughest part has been more mental/emotional.  I'm trying not to go stir crazy. I cannot put any weight on my right foot/leg, so my mobility is limited and takes a lot of effort.  I'm getting better at asking for help, but I'm so tired of sitting and watching TV.  I try to read a bit, but it's hard to focus.  The condition of my house is driving me nuts (yes, everyone is helping, but it's not up to my standards).  So I guess I'm still learning to let it go in regard to that.  I admit, I do get weepy about once a day when I am frustrated with everything.

Physically, I'm doing very well, each day seems to be an improvement from the last.  I am in almost no pain at all.  I haven't taken any pain killers in a while.  I've been faithful about doing my exercises.  It's amazing how much muscle loss happens.  I feel like my quads are non-existent on my right leg, but it's getting stronger.  The blood rushes to my foot when I try to sit like a normal person, so I am practicing that as much as possible so that my seven hour flight next week will be tolerable.  Sleep is difficult, but that's probably because I'm not doing anything all day long.  I cat nap on and off during the day and sleep about 5 hours at night.  I get frustrated if I sleep in bed since I try to roll over and can't, so I sleep in the recliner.

To get around the house, I usually use a walker (as my little niece Presley pointed out that old people use those!).   I also have a leg scooter, which is like a knee scooter, but I sit on a bike seat and rest my leg on a bar.  It's easier to get around on the scooter, but it's still uncomfortable on my (non-existent) leg muscles. I used it before the surgery, so I'm thinking that since I had some muscle atrophy, it became hard to use.    I practice on it every day, but can only do it for a few minutes at a time.  I'm hoping that by the end of this weekend, I'll be able to ditch my walker.  I have a wheelchair for longer outings.  It has a leg rest so I can keep my leg elevated.  I was hoping to take my scooter on our trip, but I think I'll still need the wheelchair.

We are getting ready to head out on our big trip next week.  I still can't believe this happened right before the trip.  We will try to make the best of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment