Monday, July 1, 2019

O'ahu - Hawaii day 4

This morning we headed out on a trip around the island. We are staying on the southeast side of the island, so we took off towards the north.

Our first stop was Kailua Beach.  We got to the beach and being Saturday, it was pretty crowded.  Online, it said that beach wheelchairs were available, so that's one of the reasons we chose that beach.  We got there and. couldnt see any chairs, so we sent Ethan out to find some. He asked the lifeguard he didnt know anything about wheelchairs.  We did see a mat that lead to the beach, so I hopped on my scooter and Ethan pushed me up the hill.  Problem was, as soon as the sand started, the mat ended.  I was ready to call it off and go home as I was onve again frustrated with something else I couldn't do.  Stan and Ethan convinced me to use crutches on the sand. I think I might have been a bit desperate because I did just that. It took me awhile and I probably looked strange, but I managed to navigate across the beach on my crutches.   I'm glad I did because the beach was so beautiful and the day was so nice.  The sand was white and powder like.  I made myself comfortable and enjoyed watching everyone.

Kailua Beach

The mat that takes you to the beach.  Crazy me on the scooter carrying my crutches


After the beach, we went to a place called Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden.   I love to visit botanical gardens as I find them so peaceful.   We followed the trail down into the valley a bit until the pavement ended.  The family kept going and I waited for them, which I didnt mind since it was so nice out. 
The trail at the botanical garden


Following the gardens,we moved on to have lunch.  We had packed a picnic so stopped at Kualoa Beach Park. This is a very nice grassy park on the north west side of Oahu. You can see Chinaman's hat from there and its right on the water.  I could have stayed there all day.
Chinaman's Hat

.
The mountain view


We continued our journey around the island.  It began to get very congested with a lot of people and traffic. We had intended on stopping at one of the beaches but each time we tried to park, there were no spots, even with our handicap placard.  So,we kept going. 

We stopped in a little shopping center in the town of Haleiwa.   Ethan loved this sleepy little surfing town.  We looked through some shops then continued our journey.

Our next stop was Dole Pineapple Plantation.  This is Nother Hawaiian place that has turned majorly commercial.  Lots of booths and shops trying to sell something.  we did get some Do!e Whip though.




.
No, Ethan, pineapples don't grow on trees

We then headed home after a long day.  It was a lot of fun and I think everyone had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment